Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Parting Words

"Do you really want that to be the last thing you say to me and the last thing I hear?" This is a question I often asked my daughter when she would try to storm out of the house or to her room after an, "I hate you!" or some other hurtful phrase. I'd say, "What if this was the last time you saw me or I saw you? Is that what you'd want either of us to remember?" She often felt I tried to "guilt" her by asking this. I wasn't. I've just learned you never know when is the last time you will see someone or they you.

An acquaintance's husband collapsed and died the other day. Collapsed without warning, as far as I know. I hope they parted that morning with loving words and loving feelings. I hope they both felt appreciated and cherished. We don't know the day or the hour.

Always let your parting words be loving.

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for the young woman in her grief and for the repose of her husband's soul.

No comments: